Here’s what I observed:
- The atmosphere and the attitudes of the people in the room
- What percentage of the time the facilitator talked
- Whether or not someone was taking notes
- If there was any agreed-upon accountability.
Structure for effective meetingsIf your business life is anything like mine, you spend a lot of time in meetings. Let me encourage you to evaluate how you run those meetings. Here are a couple of suggestions:
1. Consider having an ongoing action list that has 3 components:
- What have we agreed to do
- Who is responsible
- What is the deadline
2. Challenge yourself as a facilitator.
- What percentage of the time are you talking?
- Are the meeting participants engaged?